Flourless Chocolate Honey-Almond Passover Cake
Just before serving this elegant dessert, decorate the top with apple slices and almonds and drizzle with honey, allowing it to drip down the sides.
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted*
1 tablespoon plus 1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
5 large eggs, separated
1/8 teaspoon salt
Additional sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease bottom of 10-inch tube pan.
- Place cooled almonds in bowl of food processor with 1 tablespoon sugar; process until finely ground.
- Melt butter; stir in cocoa. Cool.
- Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until pale yellow in color. Add cocoa mixture and salt; mix well. Stir in almonds.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- Add about 1/4 beaten egg whites to chocolate mixture; stir until well blended. Gradually fold remaining egg whites into chocolate. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Unmold and remove bottom. Cool completely.
- Just before serving, decorate with apple slices and almonds; drizzle with honey, allowing to drip down sides. Cover until ready to serve.
Makes 12 servings.
*To toast almonds: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place almonds in single layer on shallow baking pan. Bake 7 or 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown. Cool completely.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.