Fudgey Valentine Cake
A romantic heart-shaped cake frosted with pretty pink buttercream frosting and decorated with maraschino cherries and chocolate curls.
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups dairy sour cream
PINK BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 1/4 cups powdered sugar
4 to 5 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon red food color
Maraschino cherries or chocolate curls (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch heart-shaped pans.*
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl on medium speed of mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, blending well. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Prepare PINK BUTTERCREAM FROSTING.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with maraschino cherries or chocolate curls, if desired.
- FOR PINK BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: Beat butter in medium bowl until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk and vanilla until smooth and of desired consistency; stir in food color.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
*Note: One 8-inch square baking pan and one 8-inch round baking pan (each must be 2-inches deep) may be substituted for heart-shaped pans. Prepare, bake and cool cake as directed above. Cut round layer in half, forming 2 half circles; place cut edge against adjacent sides of square layer to form heart. Frost entire cake.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.