Hershey's Hugs & Kisses Valentine's Cake
Perfect for Valentine's Day, this heart-shaped cake is frosted with pink whipped cream frosting and decorated with a drizzle of melted chocolate and Hershey's Hugs and Kisses.
1 (13-ounce) bag HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates - divided use
1 (13-ounce) bag HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates - divided use
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 teaspoon shortening
WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line bottoms of two 9-inch heart-shaped baking pans with wax paper.*
- Remove wrappers from 24 HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates and 24 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates; chop into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in chopped chocolate. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire racks. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds to 1 minute or until chocolate is melted when stirred.
- Trace 5-inch heart shape on paper; place wax paper over top. Place melted chip mixture in bottom of sturdy seal-top plastic bag; using scissors, snip off small corner at bottom. Pipe melted chocolate over heart; refrigerate until firm.
- Prepare WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING; reserve 1 cup. Frost between layers, sides and top of cake.
- Place reserved frosting in a clean sturdy seal-top plastic bag with star tip; pipe rosettes along top of cake.
- Unwrap 17 HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates; place on top of rosettes.
- Unwrap 32 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates; place along bottom edge of cake. Remove chocolate heart from wax paper; place in center of cake. Cover and refrigerate cake.
Makes 10 servings.
*Two 9-inch round baking pans can be used in place of heart-shaped pans, if desired.
WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING: Place 1 tablespoon cold water in small cup; sprinkle 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin over top. Let stand several minutes to soften. Stir in 2 tablespoons boiling water until gelatin is completely dissolved and mixture is clear. Beat 2 cups cold whipping cream and 1/3 cup powdered sugar in large bowl until stiff. Pour in gelatin mixture; beat until well blended and thickened. Stir in 5 drops red food color, if desired. Makes about 4 cups frosting.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.