Holiday Coconut Cake
This holiday coconut pecan cake is topped with a delightful toffee cream, and garnished with toffee bits.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 vegetable shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes
1/2 cup chopped pecans
TOFFEE CREAM (recipe follows)
HEATH BITS 'O BRICKLE Toffee Bits (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- Beat butter, shortening, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until creamy. Add flour, baking soda and salt alternately with buttermilk, beating well. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Frost with TOFFEE CREAM. Garnish with additional toffee bits, if desired. Cover; store leftover cake in refrigerator.
Makes 12 servings.
TOFFEE CREAM: Beat 2 cups cold whipping cream with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in large bowl until stiff. Fold in 1/2 cup HEATH BITS 'O BRICKLE Almond Toffee Bits. Makes about 4 cups.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.