Mounds Coconut Easter Basket Cake
This fun cake is decorated to look like an Easter basket.
1 (about 18-ounce) package white cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
2 cups MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes - divided use
VANILLA FROSTING (recipe follows)
COCONUT 'GRASS' (recipe follows)
TWIZZLERS PULL 'N' PEEL Candy
JOLLY RANCHER Jelly Beans
HERSHEY'S MINI KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
- Prepare cake batter with whole eggs as directed on package; stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Use 2 round 9-inch pans, bake and cool as directed.
- Place 1 layer on serving plate, bottom side up; frost top with VANILLA FROSTING.
- Place second layer on top, top side up. Frost sides.
- Mark a 6-inch circle from center of top layer. Using fork, gently remove small amount of cake from within circle, forming an indentation to allow basket to be filled. Lightly frost edges of top.
- Cut lightweight cardboard into 14 x 3/4-inch strip for handle; cover with plastic wrap. Bend and insert handle ends into top of cake about 1-inch from sides; frost.
- Decorate with jelly beans and single licorice strands.
- When frosting on sides of cake is firm, with fork, alternately press fork tines vertically and horizontally, forming basket pattern.
- Place COCONUT 'GRASS' on top; decorate with HERSHEY'S MINI KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates and assorted candies.
- Separate licorice into 3 strand groups; twist and place around top rim.
- Place jelly beans around bottom.
- Remove handle before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
VANILLA FROSTING: Beat 1/3 cup softened butter in medium bowl. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat well. Add 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar alternately with 3 to 4 tablespoons milk; beat to spreading consistency.
COCONUT 'GRASS': Combine 3 drops green food color with 3/4 teaspoon water; add to remaining 1 1/2 cups coconut. Stir until evenly tinted; use immediately.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.