Passover Cocoa-Orange Sponge Cake
An elegant orange-scented cocoa sponge cake topped with almond slices and a cocoa-orange glaze.
1/4 cup sliced almonds
7 large eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup cake meal
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
COCOA-ORANGE GLAZE (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Line bottom of 10-inch tube pan with parchment paper. Sprinkle almonds evenly in pan.
- Beat egg yolks in large bowl until lemon colored. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick. Stir in orange peel and juice.
- Stir together potato starch, cake meal and cocoa; fold into yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites in separate large bowl until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes. Without opening oven door, increase temperature to 325°F (160°C). Bake 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Gently peel off paper. Cool completely. Spread COCOA-ORANGE GLAZE over top. Remaining glaze can be served with cake.
- COCOA-ORANGE GLAZE: Stir together 1 cup sweet orange marmalade, 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa and 1/4 cup water in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils. Strain; discard orange peel. Cool to room temperature. Makes about 3/4 cup glaze.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.