Special Dark Chocolate Chip Scones
Teatime or anytime, these delicious scones, studded with dark chocolate chips, are wonderful with a steaming hot cup of tea or coffee.
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
2 cups chilled whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Additional granulated sugar
Powdered sugar (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Stir together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
- Stir whipping cream into flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
- Turn mixture out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms (about 2 minutes).
- Pat dough into 4 1/2 x 16-inch rectangle about 1 1/4-inches high. Divide rectangle into 12 smaller rectangles each measuring 1 1/2 x 4-inches. Cut each rectangle diagonally, forming a total of 24 triangles.*
- Transfer triangles to prepared baking sheets, spacing 2-inches apart.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 24 scones.
*Rectangles can also be cut crosswise into smaller rectangles about 1 1/2 x 2-inches.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.