Chocolate Cream Passover Torte
This scrumptious four layer torte is filled and frosted with cocoa whipped cream.
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon HERSHEY'S Cocoa - divided use
1/4 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/3 cup finely ground toasted almonds*
COCOA WHIPPED CREAM (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line bottom of 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper or line with foil (extending slightly over sides); grease foil.
- Stir together 1/3 cup cocoa and water in small bowl until mixture is smooth. Stir in butter and vanilla; cool.
- Combine egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl; beat on medium speed of mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and almonds, beating until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in another large bowl until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/4 of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Add remaining whites, folding well. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Dust cake with 1 tablespoon cocoa; cover with clean, dry towel. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut cake into 4 equal pieces. Remove paper or foil before placing on serving plate. Prepare COCOA WHIPPED CREAM; reserve 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups to frost sides and ends of cake. Place one cake layer on plate; spread with COCOA WHIPPED CREAM.
- Repeat layering, ending with whipped cream. Spread reserved whipped cream on all sides of assembled cake. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate until serving time. Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.
Makes about 12 servings.
*To toast almonds: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spread 1/3 cup blanched slivered almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown. Cool completely. To grind, use food processor.
COCOA WHIPPED CREAM: Combine 1 1/2 cups cold whipping cream, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract in large cold bowl; beat with cold beaters until stiff. Makes about 3 cups whipped cream.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.