American Flag Cake
This yummy American flag cake uses sliced, ready-made pound cake as its base which is topped with a layer of strawberry gelatin embedded with sliced strawberries, and frosted with whipped topping and garnished with fresh strawberries and blueberries to resemble 'Old Glory'.
Recipe Ingredients:4 cups strawberries - divided use
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 (6-ounce) package strawberry gelatin
1 cup cold water
1 (12-ounce) package pound cake
1 1/3 cups blueberries - divided use
1 (8-ounce) container nondairy whipped topping, thawed
- Slice 1 cup of the strawberries; set aside. Halve remaining strawberries; set aside.
- Stir boiling water into dry gelatin mix in large bowl 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 2 cups. Add to gelatin; stir until ice is melted. Refrigerate 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- While gelatin is chilling, cut the cake into 10 slices and line the bottom of an 13x9x2-inch dish with the slices.
- Stir the sliced strawberries and 1 cup of the blueberries to thickened gelatin and spoon over cake slices.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.
- Spread whipped topping over gelatin. Arrange strawberry halves on whipped topping for the "stripes" of the American "flag." Arrange remaining 1/3 cup blueberries on whipped topping for the "stars" in the upper left hand corner. Store cake in refrigerator.
Makes 12 servings.