Candy Cane Cookies
These fun-to-make holiday cookies are shaped like candy canes, baked, frosted and then sprinkled with real crushed candy canes.
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond flavoring
1 cup chopped almonds
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups powdered sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
Approximately 4 to 6 crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Cookies: Combine butter, sugar, salt and flavoring into large electric mixer bowl and beat until fluffy. Stir in almonds and flour until well blended.
- Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a rope and form into a candy cane shape. Place on well-buttered or parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat using all of the dough to make 20 to 24 cookies.
- Bake until slightly browned, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool on pan until slightly firm, then carefully remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For icing: Stir powdered sugar and milk together. Add food coloring, if desired. Drizzle on cookies and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
Makes about 2 dozen.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.