Chilean Christmas Fruitcake
A special Christmas dessert throughout Chile, this sweet cake-like bread is laced with nuts, spices and candied fruit. It is traditionally eaten while presents are opened on Christmas day. Argentines enjoy a similar Christmas bread called pan dulce.
1 cup mixed candied fruit
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 teaspoon orange zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon anise seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs - divided use
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Grease 9-inch springform pan. Line bottom with 9-inch circle of wax paper. Grease top of wax paper.
- Combine candied fruit, raisins, nuts and orange zest in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, anise seeds and cloves in medium bowl. Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add four eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually stir in flour mixture alternately with evaporated milk until blended. Stir in candied fruit mixture. Spoon into prepared springform pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove cake from oven.
- Beat remaining egg in small bowl. Brush top of cake with beaten egg and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cover cake with foil if it starts to brown too quickly.
- Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack.
- Run knife around edge of cake; remove side of springform cake. Turn cake over onto a plate; remove wax paper.
- Store cake tightly wrapped in plastic wrap in refrigerator for 1 day before slicing. Store refrigerated for up to 7 days.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 400 Calories from Fat: 170 Total Fat: 19 g Saturated Fat: 9 g Cholesterol: 105 mg Sodium: 230 mg Carbohydrates: 52 g Dietary Fiber: 2 g Sugars: 25 g Protein: 7 g
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.