Chocolate Candy Cane Cake
This festive holiday 'cake-mix-easy' two-layer cake is filled and frosted with ready-made white frosting and garnished with crushed candy canes.
1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix, any variety
1 (3.25-ounce) package chocolate instant pudding and pie filling
4 large eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
18 small candy canes, coarsely crushed (about 1 cup) - divided use
1 container white chocolate or vanilla icing
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water; beat with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, scraping side of bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of the crushed candy canes. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack. Loosen cake from side of pan with spatula or knife. Invert cake onto rack; gently remove pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Place 1 of the cake layers on serving plate. Spread about 1/4 of the frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, top side down. Frost top and side of cake with remaining frosting.
- Garnish with remaining crushed candy canes.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.