Chocolate Sugar Plum Cookies
Sugar plums are sweet treats, as are these chocolate cut-out cookies, decorated as befits the occasion.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup semisweet chocoate, melted
Assorted cookie cutters
White decorating icing
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended after each addition. Add melted chocolate and mix well.
- Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut with assorted 3-inch cookie cutters; sprinkle with colored sugar. Place, 2-inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks.
- Decorate with icing as desired. Store in loosely covered container at room temperature.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.