Coconut Popcorn Snowballs
Festive coconut marshmallow popcorn balls with a coat of sweetened coconut 'snow' and a candy cane handle.
2 cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut
3 quarts popped popcorn
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1 teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract
8 candy canes or candy cane sticks, about 3 to 4 inches
- Place a large sheet of wax (or parchment) paper over a work surface.
- Spread coconut onto paper.
- Spray a large mixing bowl lightly with cooking spray and place popcorn inside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in marshmallows and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Pour over popcorn and mix well until coated.
- Spray hands with cooking spray and press firmly to form into balls. Place balls on coconut and roll and press coconut to coat. While holding popcorn ball, gently press a candy cane into each ball.
- Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap for storage.
Makes 8 (4-inch) balls.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.