Easter Egg Idaho® Potatoes
Serve up some whimsical fun at Easter dinner with these tasty tater eggs!
8 small Idaho® potatoes (about 4 to 5 ounces)
Vegetable shortening (optional)
1/2 cup light dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
2 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
Fresh chives, cut to desired length
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Scrub potatoes with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes in 2 or 3 places with a fork. (If desired, for softer skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap in foil to "steam.")
- Place potatoes in a shallow baking pan. Bake potatoes, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool slightly for easier handling.
- Cut a thin crosswise slice off both ends of each baked potato. Carefully scoop pulp from each potato leaving a 3/4-inch shell. Add pulp to bowl; set shells aside.
- Mash the potato pulp. Stir in sour cream or yogurt, cheese, snipped chives, mustard, salt, and pepper. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to achieve desired consistency.) Stir in hard-cooked eggs.
- Carefully spoon potato mixture into shells. Stand the potato "eggs" upright in a 2-quart rectangular or square baking dish.
- Bake potatoes, uncovered, in 425°F (220°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through and tops are set. Garnish with fresh chives (or other fresh herbs).
Makes 8 servings..
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 185; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 64mg; Total Carbs: 29g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 7g; Sodium: 266mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.