Decorate these butterscotch gingerbread cookies for the holidays or simply serve them plain with mugs of hot apple cider.
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 (3.25-ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding and pie filling
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, dry pudding mix and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture to pudding mixture, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is firm.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into gingerbread people with 4-inch cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks.
- Decorate as desired.
Makes about 20 cookies.