Grandma's Holiday Pie
Old-fashioned buttermilk custard pie gets a mascarpone makeover! Recipe by Chef Bill Rowling.
5 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Zest of one lemon
1 cup (8 ounces) Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese
2 (9-inch) unbaked pie shells
1 pinch nutmeg
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat eggs in large bowl; add flour and sugar.
- In separate bowl, combine buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla extract, almond extract, lemon zest and Mascarpone cheese. Add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth.
- Pour into pie shells; sprinkle tops lightly with nutmeg.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F (160°C). Loosely tent pies with foil. Bake for 20 minutes more or until surface is golden brown and center is set.
- Whip cream to soft peaks; stir in sugar; whip to stiff peaks. Serve atop pie slices.
Makes 2 pies or 16 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.