Jack-O'-Lantern Cheeseburger Pie
The top crust of this kid-pleasing cheeseburger pie is cut-out to resemble a Jack-o'-lantern.
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
3 cups (12-ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese - divided use
2 tablespoons water
1 large egg
Red and yellow liquid food coloring
- Cook first 5 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in ketchup and Worcestershire sauce; cool.
- Unfold 1 piecrust, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread mustard evenly over crust. Stir together meat mixture and 2 cups cheese; spoon onto center of crust, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Unfold remaining pie crust, and cut out a jack-o'-lantern face, reserving pastry cutouts to use as a stem. Place crust over meat mixture; crimp edges of crust, and fold under. Place stem on top of jack-o'-lantern face.
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons water, egg, and 1 drop each of red and yellow food coloring; brush over crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for 20 minutes; remove from oven, and brush again with egg mixture.
- Fill eyes, nose, and mouth with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake 5 to 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.