Kris Kringle Bûche de Noël
With a light dusting of 'snow', this festive yule log features a chocolate cream center that melts in your mouth. Decorated candy 'mushrooms' add an unforgettable winter touch that is sure to impress.
5 large eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sifted cake flour
1/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur
1/3 cup toasted, skinned and ground hazelnuts (optional)
1/4 cup powdered sugar to decorate
Candy mushrooms to decorate (optional)
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan; line with parchment or wax paper. Grease and flour wax paper. Sprinkle thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- Beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat 1/3 cup granulated sugar until stiff, shiny peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl for about 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Fold in flour and baking cocoa.
- Fold about one-third of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten, then turn the chocolate mixture into the whites and fold it in gently but thoroughly. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Immediately turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool completely, seam-side-down, on wire rack.
- For Chocolate Cream : Beat whipping cream, granulated sugar, baking cocoa and liqueur in large mixer bowl until firm. If desired, fold in ground nuts. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream mixture evenly over cake, reserving 2 tablespoons. Re-roll cake.
- Cut a 1-inch-thick diagonal slice from one end of the cake roll. Place cake roll on serving platter, seam-side-down. Use the reserved cream mixture to attach the cut piece against the side of the cake roll to resemble a knot. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
- At serving time, dust the cake with 1/4 cup powdered sugar to resemble snow. Decorate with candy mushrooms, if desired.
Makes 10 servings.
Tip: The filled cake can be kept in the refrigerator overnight or wrapped airtight and frozen for 2 weeks. Keep wrapped and thaw in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories: 240 Calories from Fat: 110 Total Fat: 12 g Saturated Fat: 6 g Cholesterol: 140 mg Sodium: 45 mg Carbohydrates: 29 g Dietary Fiber: .5 g Sugars: 21 g Protein: 5 g
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.