Popcorn Easter Baskets
Delight your children and friends with these adorable marshmallow and popcorn Easter baskets filled with candy eggs.
3 quarts popped popcorn
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
3 cups miniature marshmallows
3 tablespoons (1/2 of a 3-ounce box) strawberry, lime, or lemon gelatin dessert mix
12 (8-inch) licorice twists (mix or match the colors)
1/2 cup shredded or flaked sweetened coconut
Green food color, or color of choice
Small candy-coated chocolate eggs or jellybeans
Equipment needed: 12-cup jumbo-sized muffin pan
- Spray a large mixing bowl lightly with cooking spray and place popcorn inside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in marshmallows and gelatin dessert powder until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Pour over popcorn and mix well until coated.
- Spray hands with cooking spray and press firmly to form into 12 balls. Press each popcorn ball into well of a greased muffin tin. Press firmly into muffin pan with the back of a spoon to form base of basket. Bend and press a licorice twist firmly into both sides of each basket. (If licorice seems thick, peel 2 to 3 strings from each piece).
- Place coconut into resealable plastic sandwich bag. Sprinkle a drop of food color onto coconut and seal bag. Press bag to distribute color evenly. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of coconut onto each basket. Place a few candy eggs into each basket. Allow basket to set about 1 hour before gently removing baskets from muffin pan. (Removal can be made easier with the tip of a small knife applied to pan edge).
- Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap for storage. Add a ribbon tie to plastic wrap as a decorative closure.
Makes 12 Easter popcorn baskets (basket base is 3-inches wide and 1 3/4-inches high).
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.