Red, White and Blue Cake
Celebrate Independence Day with a patriotic cake of red and blue tinted layers, whipped topping and berries.
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon Blue McCormick® Assorted NEON! Food Colors & Egg Dye
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons McCormick® Red Food Color
1 (16-ounce) container white frosting
1 cup raspberries
1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding vanilla. Remove 1 1/2 cups of the batter. Tint blue with neon blue food color. Tint remaining batter red with cocoa powder and red food color. Pour each color batter into separate 9x5-inch loaf pans sprayed with no stick cooking spray.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes for blue-tinted cake; 30 to 35 minutes for red-tinted cake. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Trim cakes to remove rounded tops and edges. Slice red cake in half horizontally to form 2 thin layers. Place 1 of the layers on platter. Slice remaining red cake layer in half lengthwise. Slice blue cake in half lengthwise. (Blue and red cakes should be the same dimensions.).
- Frost red cake layer on platter with 1/3 of the frosting. Top with a layer of 1 red and 1 blue cake placed side by side. Frost with 1/3 of the frosting. Repeat cake layer and frosting. Garnish with raspberries and blueberries to resemble a flag.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 393; Sodium: 409mg; Fat: 17g; Carbohydrates: 57g; Cholesterol: 47mg; Protein: 3g; Fiber: 2g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of McCormick & Company, Inc.