Red, White and Blue Shortcakes
An updated triple berry version of the classic spring and summertime dessert.
2 1/3 cups all-purpose baking mix
1 cup Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 (14-ounce) can Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Mix baking mix and dried cranberries. Prepare shortcakes as directed on package for a drop biscuit.
- Drop by spoonfuls, forming 8 shortcakes, onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients in medium bowl, mixing well.
- Slice shortcakes in half horizontally. Place bottom halves on individual plates; top with 1/2 cup fruit mixture for each shortcake. Place shortcake tops on fruit. Top with sweetened whipped cream. Garnish with lemon rind, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Cal. 487 (24%DV), Fat Cal. 189, Pro. 4g (8%DV), Carb. 70g (23%DV), Fat 21g (33%DV), Chol. 54mg (18%DV), Sod. 493mg (21%DV), Vit. A 180RE (12%DV), Vit. C 24mg (40%DV), Vit. E 1mg (6%DV), Calcium 80mg (8%DV), Iron 1mg (7%DV), Folate 47Ug (12%DV), Zinc <1mg (2%DV), Pot. 167mg (5%DV), Dietary Exchange: Fruit 2.5, Starch 2, Fat 4.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.