Red, White and Blueberry Pound Cake
Use of a ready-made pound cake makes this Fourth of July flag cake quick and easy to assemble.
3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
6 tablespoons orange juice
1 (10.75-ounce) package frozen pound cake
1 (8-ounce) container whipped cream cheese
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries - divided use
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- For Raspberry Orange Sauce: Stir together until smooth the raspberry jam and orange juice. Set aside.
- For Cake: Slice frozen pound cake lengthwise in three layers
- Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet with top layer cut side up.
- Pierce layers with fork tines.
- Spread each with 2 tablespoons of the Raspberry-Orange Sauce.
- Let stand 10 to 15 minutes so that the cake absorbs the sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together cream cheese, sugar and orange juice until well blended.
- To assemble cake: Place bottom layer on a serving plate.
- Spread evenly with a third of the cream cheese mixture.
- Arrange a third of the blueberries evenly over cream cheese.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon Raspberry-Orange Sauce over blueberries.
- Repeat with center slice of cake.
- Place top layer cut side down.
- Spread with remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Decorate cake to resemble an American flag using remaining blueberries and the strawberries.
- Serve with remaining Raspberry-Orange Sauce.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.