Santa Sandwich Cookies
Santa will appreciate these festive frosting-filled sandwich oat cookies with their edges rolled in colorful candy sprinkles.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (16-ounce) container ready-to-spread vanilla-flavored frosting - divided use
Green or red food coloring (optional)
Colored sugars and holiday sprinkles
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer until creamy.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, oats and salt; mix well. Add to butter mixture; mix well. Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a 2-inch diameter roll (approximately 5-inches long). Wrap in plastic wrap; chill about 3 hours or longer.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Unwrap one roll of dough and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices about 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Divide frosting in half. Cover and refrigerate half of frosting for another use. Tint remaining frosting with food coloring, if desired.
- Spread frosting on bottom of one cooled cookie; top with second cookie.
- Roll edge of frosting in decorations. Repeat with remaining cookies. Store tightly covered.
Makes 2 dozen sandwich cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.