Scaredy-Cat Ice Cream Cake
Everyone will be clawing their way to this grinning cat cake. Not only is it cute, this cat pairs two classic favorites—brownies and ice cream—into one dessert. A round brownie-based cake is the starting point for the face of a black cat. A little imagination and some decorative touches create a tasty Halloween dessert.
1 (15-ounce) package brownie mix
1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream, softened
1/3 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
2 blue corn tortilla chips
Tropical-flavored rolled fruit leather
2 large white gum balls
1 large orange gum ball
3 pieces green apple-flavored twist candy, halved lengthwise
Yellow paste food coloring
Orange paste food coloring
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, allowing foil to extend over edges of pan; set aside.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions using the prepared baking pan. Cool brownie in pan completely.
- Use foil to lift brownie from pan onto a cutting board. Remove foil. Using the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan as a guide, cut a circle from brownie. Place the brownie circle in a 9-inch springform pan (eat remaining brownie scraps or save for another use).
- Spoon softened ice cream over brownie in pan, spreading evenly. Cover and freeze for 2 hours. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs over top of ice cream.
- For ears, press in blue tortilla chips.
- For cat eyes, press a small cutout piece of fruit leather onto each white gum ball; press into cake.
- Add an orange gum ball for the nose. For whiskers, add green twists, trimming as necessary.
- For mouth, color about 1/3 cup fondant yellow and another 1/3 cup fondant orange.
- Alternate 2x1/2-inch pieces of the colored fondant on a piece of waxed paper, placing the pieces close together. Roll out fondant to about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out a "smile" shape; place on cake. Cover and freeze cake until firm, at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, remove sides and bottom of pan and place on a platter.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.