This sneaky guy is stuffed with pizza ingredients. A red pepper strip provides the sinister tongue.
1 (16-ounce) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
4 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese, diagonally cut in half
4 ounces sliced cheddar cheese, diagonally cut in half
1 (3.5-ounce) package sliced pepperoni
1 (8-ounce) can pizza sauce
1/2 cup red, green, and/or yellow sweet pepper strips
1 strip roasted red sweet pepper
2 pimiento-stuffed olives
- Place thawed bread dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 22-inch long rope. Place on a large greased baking sheet forming a "snaky S" shape. Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until double in size. Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack. Cool to room temperature.
- Hollow out the center portion of the loaf about 1-inch deep and 1 1/2-inches wide, leaving about 2-inches on each end of the loaf. Layer cheeses down the center of loaf, pressing cheese slices down into the hollowed portion of the loaf.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the pepperoni and pizza sauce. Spoon atop the cheese. Top with the strips of sweet pepper.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake in 350°F (175°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Make a slit in the front of the loaf and insert a roasted red pepper strip for a tongue; insert two pimento stuffed olives with toothpicks for eyes.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.