St. Paddy's Day Potato-Cabbage Casserole
A generous amount of horseradish gives this Irish potato cabbage casserole loads of flavor.
4 medium baking potatoes, peeled
1 cup green cabbage, shredded
1/4 medium onion, shredded
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon caraway seed
4 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 cup horseradish
3/4 cup heavy cream (substitute evaporated skim milk to reduce fat)
- Slice peeled potatoes 1/4-inch thick and place in medium-size stock pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, shred cabbage and onion.
- Heat oil in medium-size sauté pan. Add cabbage and onion and sauté until tender. Add salt, pepper and caraway seed.
- Rub a 2-quart baking dish with margarine or butter. Place a third of drained potatoes on bottom of dish; sprinkle with 1/3 of horseradish, followed by 1/3 of the cabbage mixture; top with 1/3 of cream. Repeat layers twice. Top off with remaining butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF (175ºC) for 25 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Horseradish.org.