Star-Spangled Blueberry Parfaits
Use of a ready-made pound cake makes these star-spangled blueberry parfaits quick and easy to assemble.
1 (10-3/4-ounce) loaf frozen lowfat pound cake
1/4 cup red currant jelly or other red fruit jam
2 (6-ounce) containers lowfat vanilla yogurt
2 cups fresh blueberries
- With a serrated knife, cut 14 slices, 1/4-inch thick, from pound cake.
- Return remaining cake to the freezer for another use.
- Spread 7 of the slices with jelly.
- Top with plain slices.
- Trim off and discard crusts.
- With a 1 1/4-inch star or other shape cookie cutter, cut a shape from four sandwiches; set stars aside.
- Cut sandwich trimmings and remaining whole sandwiches into 3/4-inch squares.
- Into four 8-ounce parfait or wine glasses, place half the cake squares, half the blueberries, and 1 1/2 containers yogurt, dividing equally.
- Top with the remaining cake squares and blueberries.
- Spoon dollops of the remaining yogurt on top of each parfait.
- Top each with a star and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.