Yummy Mummy Heads
Serve up some ghoulishly fun food at your Halloween party with these yummy mummy heads!
4 medium Idaho® Russet or Idaho® Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed (about 2 pounds total)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup pizza sauce
16 slices turkey pepperoni, coarsely chopped
32 pitted ripe olives
8 mozzarella string cheese, unwrapped, room temperature
1/4 of a red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Slightly trim opposite sides of potatoes; cut each potato lengthwise into fourths, creating four flat ovals or "planks."
- Place the potatoes on a large foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of the potatoes with the oil, sprinkle evenly with the oregano, salt and black pepper. Bake 8 minutes, turn and bake 7 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and turn potatoes again.
- Spoon equal amounts of the pizza sauce over each (about 2 teaspoons per slice). Sprinkle evenly with the pepperoni.
- Place an olive near the center of each potato slice to form a "nose".
- Pull off thin strips of the cheese and lay across the potato to form the "bandages". (Note: the cheese may hang over the edges of the potato slightly. They will form the shape of the potato when melted.)
- Cut the remaining olives in half lengthwise and place two halves above the "nose" to form the "eye sockets".
- Place capers and bell pepper cubes in the center of each olive half to form the "eyeballs".
- Bake 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese has melted slightly. Remove with a flat spatula and place on a large serving platter. Serve hot or room temperature.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 240; Total Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Total Carbs: 24g; Protein: 12g; Sodium: 590mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission.