Chiffon Honey Cake
An elegant light-as-air, honey-sweetened chiffon spice cake.
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
2/3 cup brewed strong hot coffee
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup finely ground walnuts
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Add instant coffee granules to hot coffee; mix well. Add baking soda and set aside.
- Beat egg whites, adding cream of tartar while beating, until stiff.
- Combine all ingredients except egg whites and mix until batter is smooth. Carefully fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into ungreased angel food cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean or cake springs back when lightly touched on top. Do not over-bake.
- Invert pan onto neck of bottle. Cool thoroughly before removing cake from pan.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.