Chocolate Lover's Honey Cake
A delicious recipe for chocolate honey cake from Joan Nathan's, The Jewish Holiday Baker.
2-ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup honey
2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Melt the unsweetened chocolate over simmering water in a double boiler or microwave for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Sift into a mixing bowl the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add the oil and honey. Then add the brown sugar and melted chocolate.
- Alternately mix in the dry ingredients and the orange juice. Stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake on the lower rack of the oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for about 15 minutes. Gently run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake, then remove it from the pan.
Makes 1 cake.
Recipe from: The Jewish Holiday Baker, by Joan Nathan.