Because they are made without yeast or other leavening ingredients, macaroons are a traditionally served during Passover for a sweet treat.
1/4 cup honey
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Combine honey, egg and vanilla in medium bowl. Beat to blend. Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Coat chopped dates with flour in a small bowl. Add to mixture and stir to combine.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet..
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen macaroons.
Recipe courtesy of the National Honey Board.