Honey Passover Cheesecake
Natural, pure golden honey sweetens this delicious cheesecake, a delightful dessert to serve during Passover that's sure to please.
Matzo Meal Tart Shell:
1 cup matzo meal
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
2 (8-ounce) packages low-fat cream cheese, softened
2 cups low-fat sour cream - divided use
2/3 cup honey - divided use
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
- Prepare and cool Matzo Meal Tart Shell: Process matzo meal in food processor until very fine.
- Cut softened butter into meal until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine water and honey; mix well. Sprinkle over matzo mixture. Mix lightly to form dough; shape into ball.
- Press dough into bottom of 9-inch springform pan with removable bottom.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- For Filling: Beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sour cream at low speed until very smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons honey and gradually beat remaining honey into cream cheese mixture. Beat in eggs, one at a time; add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well. Pour into cooled crust.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes or until knife blade inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes.
- Raise oven temperature to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sour cream, reserved 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix well. Carefully spread over top of cheesecake.
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 8 minutes or until the edges pull away from the pan.
- Cool at room temperature then refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove sides of pan and, if desired, garnish with sliced kiwi fruit and strawberries.
Makes 16 servings.
Tip: Regular cream cheese and sour cream can also be used in this recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): 218 Calories; 13.5 g Fat Total; 5.6 g Protein; 72 mg Cholesterol; 20.8 g Carbohydrates; 224 mg Sodium; 0 g Dietary Fiber; 54% Calories from Fat.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Honey Board.