Spicy Honey Cake
Beaten egg whites are gently folded into the batter of this moist and flavorful, honey-sweetened spice cake, giving it a lighter texture.
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 cup honey
2 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup seedless raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup currants*
- Preheat oven to 300°F ( 150°C). Grease and line 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3-inch loaf pan with parchment paper; grease surface of paper; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter; gradually beat in honey until smooth and creamy. Add yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons flour; combine remaining flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add dry ingredients to honey mixture, about 1/3 cup at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Combine raisins, walnuts and currants with reserved flour; toss until each piece is coated with flour. Fold mixture into batter.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir 1/4 of mixture into batter; fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let stand on baking rack 5 minutes. Remove cake from pan, remove paper and cool on rack.
Makes 8 servings.
*1/4 cup raisins may be substituted for currants.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.