A sweet, deep-fried treat for Passover.
4 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup warm water
4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 1/2 teaspoons potato starch flour
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 3/4 to 2 cups matzo meal
1/2 cup chopped dried figs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Honey and ground cinnamon, for topping
- Combine eggs, water, oil, potato starch flour, salt and ginger; add enough matzo meal to make a soft dough. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- For filling, combine figs, walnuts, honey, lemon juice and peel; mix well.
- Form 10 (3 1/2-inch) patties, adding more meal to dough in necessary. Fill each with about a tablespoon of filling. Bring outer edges of patties together; seal and shape into round dumplings.
- Deep-fry in oil heated to 375°F (190°C) about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with honey and sprinkle of cinnamon.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the National Honey Board.