Braised Lamb Shanks with Vegetables
Lamb shanks are braised in a zesty white wine sauce until fork-tender, along with onions, potatoes, turnips and carrots.
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
2 pounds meaty lamb shanks, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 large onion, chopped
7 garlic cloves, peeled
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 pound all-purpose potatoes, pared and cut in 3/4-inch chunks
12 ounces white turnips, pared and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
2 to 3 large carrots, pared and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 teaspoon leaf rosemary, crumbled
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Dash freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat oil in ovenproof Dutch oven or pan over medium-high heat. Dredge lamb in flour. Working in batches, add lamb to oil; sauté until browned well browned, about 5 minutes. Remove lamb to a bowl as it browns.
- Lower heat, add onion, garlic and ginger to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened.
- Add potatoes, turnips, carrots, broth, white wine, rosemary, lemon peel, pepper and the browned lamb. Bring to boiling; cover and remove from heat.
- Bake for 1 hour or until meat in fork-tender.
Makes 4 servings.