Recipe courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.
8 Australian lamb shanks
1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
1 onion, finely chopped
3 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 cup sweet vermouth
1 cup vegetable broth
4 fresh or 2 dried bay leaves
1/4 cup almond meal
Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Heat a little of the oil in a deep-sided pan on high and brown lamb in small batches, removing each batch before adding the next.
- Heat a little more oil on high. Fry onion, garlic and turmeric for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients then return lamb drumsticks. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer (cooking gently at a level where tiny bubbles rise to the surface) until fork tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- If consistency needs thickening, simmer with lid off until reduced (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Garnish with sliced black olives and chopped parsley and serve with rice and seasonal vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: As a serving alternative, garnish with toasted slivered almonds and serve on couscous mixed with chopped preserved lemon and a handful of finely chopped parsley.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.