Lamb Shank with Orzo
Recipe courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 lamb shanks
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cup diced carrots
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup onions, diced
1 cup red wine
1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
3 (14.5-ounce) cans beef broth
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 (16-ounce) package orzo pasta
- Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C).
- For Seasoned Flour: In a large bowl, prepare seasoned flour and liberally coat shanks with it.
- In skillet, heat olive oil and sear shanks on all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove meat from skillet, discard fat.
- Add carrots, garlic, onions, and sauté for 5 minutes and deglaze with red wine. Return the meat to skillet.
- Add tomatoes and beef broth. Braise for 55 minutes. Transfer from skillet to baking dish. Add feta cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes in 475°F (245°C) oven.
- Prepare orzo according to package directions.
- Serve lamb shanks with cooked orzo.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.