Minted Koftas in Pita Bread
Recipe courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.
8 ounces minced (ground) lamb
1 3/4 ounces bread crumbs
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 small egg, beaten
4 (10 to 12-inch) skewers
5 ounces natural yogurt
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
4 pita bread or 2 naan bread
Shredded lettuce, sliced cucumber and tomato
- Combine all the ingredients for koftas, except egg.
- Add enough beaten egg to bind and form into 16 small balls and put 4 on each skewer.
- Grill under a medium/high heat for about 15 minutes, turning once, until brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile combine all ingredients for yogurt dressing.
- Split pitas length-ways and fill with salad. Place grilled koftas in pitas and serve with the minted yogurt dressing.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: If you are using wooden skewers soak them in water for at least an hour before hand and this will stop them burning when you grill or barbecue them.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 453; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Total Carbs: 57g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 7g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.