Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Crust
Recipe courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.
1 large onion, peeled and chopped finely
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 pounds ground lamb
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium white turnip, peeled and chopped
4 mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
2 slices bacon, trimmed and chopped
1 (14-ounce) can Roma tomatoes chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary
2 cups lamb or beef broth
2 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter, softened - divided use
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese - divided use
- Heat the oil over a moderate-low heat and gently cook the onion until transparent. Increase the heat, add the ground lamb and
- cook, breaking up lamb as it cooks, until well-browned.
- While the lamb is browning, gradually add the other vegetables in order, and the bacon. Add the rosemary and broth, bring to
- a simmer, and cook slowly, on the cook-top for about 1 hour.
- Divide the cooked meat mixture between 5 oven-proof serving bowls. Enrich the mashed sweet potato with 1/2 the butter and
- about 2/3 of the cheese. (You may also wish to add a little milk). Spread a thick layer of sweet potato over the top of each
- bowl, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and dot with remaining butter.
- Place in a hot oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the top is crusty and golden.
Makes 5 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.