Chile Relleños Casserole
This easy casserole boasts the same great taste found in Mexican restaurant chile relleños, it is surprisingly good! Your family will ask you to make it again—count on it.
2 (7-ounce) cans whole green chiles, split and seeded
4 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese - divided use
4 large eggs
2 cups 2% milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (20-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan and line the chiles on the bottom of pan. Sprinkle 3 1/2 cups cheese evenly over chiles. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat with electric mixer the eggs, milk, flour, salt and pepper. Pour over chile/cheese mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes; remove from oven and pour enchilada sauce over top and bake for additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over top and return to oven until cheese melts, about 1 minute or less.
- Allow casserole to set at least 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Variation Tip: This casserole is easy to change up with the addition of cooked crumbles of ground beef, pork, or turkey. Reduce green chiles to 1 (7-ounce) can and sprinkle about 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked meat over the layer of chiles and proceed as directed.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 349.0 calories; 62% calories from fat; 24.1g total fat; 167.2mg cholesterol; 1299.1mg sodium; 236.5mg potassium; 11.3g carbohydrates; 1.4g fiber; 4.3g sugar; 9.9g net carbs; 21.6g protein.