Four-Grain Burrito Filling with Tofu
Pair these hearty grain, veggie and tofu burritos with a simple vinaigrette tossed green salad.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped white onion
1 1/2 cups finely chopped leek
3 cups finely chopped carrot
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped red pepper
1 cup diced mushroom
4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons coriander seed
1 stick cinnamon, or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon hot chili powder, Mexican style
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup black turtle beans, presoaked four hours
3 cups vegetable stock - divided use
1 cup basmati, brown or medium long rice
1 cup lentils, brown
1/2 cup barley
2 cups chopped red tomato
1/2 cup golden or dark raisins
4 packages firm, well-drained premium tofu cut into 1/4 inch cubes
6 large flour tortillas
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Wisconsin cheese of choice: Pepato, White Cheddar, Smoked
Gouda or Asiago
Shredded lettuce, fruit or vegetable salsa, guacamole, sour cream (or barbecue sauce)
- Heat a 3 to 4 quart pan to warm. Add the olive oil. Heat for two minutes. Add next six ingredients. Cook for five minutes, stirring frequently, over medium heat.
- Add the spices and beans. Add half the vegetable stock and cook, covered, for five minutes over low heat.
- Add the rice. Cover and cook another five minutes.
- Add the lentils and barley. Cook five minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add the rest of the liquid and cook slowly until all the grains are moist and past al dente.
- Add tomato, raisins and tofu. Depending on your taste, you can remove the lid, reduce the filling to dry or medium dry. Re-season and add more or less of any herb, spice or grain.
- To Serve: Warm tortillas in the oven or on a griddle.
- Place about 1/2 cup of stuffing, one tablespoon of cheese and 2 tablespoons of shredded lettuce on each tortilla. Fold as a letter and roll. Cut on an angle and serve with fruit or vegetable salsa, guacamole, sour cream or even a light barbecue sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.