Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tacos
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
1 pound of mixed crimini and button mushrooms
3 tablespoons butter - divided use
2 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 large yellow onion
Pinch granulated sugar
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon sweet Spanish paprika
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Chopped Italian parsley
Freshly ground sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté mushrooms in batches until they are evenly browned, careful not to crowd the pan. Transfer the mushrooms to a large bowl.
- In the meantime, slice the onion thinly crosswise.
- Heat the remaining butter and olive oil. Add onions and cook until they start to turn golden in color. Add a pinch of sugar to help them caramelize. Sauté stirring occasionally until a deep golden brown. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Transfer onions and garlic to bowl with the mushrooms. Add the sweet paprika, 3/4 cup cheese and some of the chopped parsley. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste and stir ingredients to incorporate.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave in a loosely covered container in the microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, turning after 1 minute.
- Spoon mushroom and onion mixture and some of the crème fraîche into the middle of each tortilla. Serve on a platter garnished with remaining parsley and cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.