This simple pasta dish features fresh tomatoes, peppery arugula and tangy gorgonzola cheese.
8 ounces dry ziti or mostaccioli pasta
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 to 6 medium-sized ripe tomatoes (preferably Roma), seeded and coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
3 cups arugula, watercress, and/or spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large skillet cook the onion and garlic in hot olive oil over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes, salt, black pepper, and, if desired, red pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 2 minutes or until the tomatoes are warm and release some of their juices.
- Stir in Arugula, watercress, and/or spinach. Heat just until greens are wilted.
- Arrange the pasta in individual bowls. Spoon the sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts or almonds and Gorgonzola or other blue cheese.
Makes 4 servings.