Potatoes and Collard Greens with Vegan Sausage
Greens often come out on top of healthy food lovers’ must-eat lists. The dark leafy greens are still crave-worthy in March, until such time as the lighter and leafier spring greens arrive.
4 medium-large Yukon gold or red-skinned potatoes
1 large sweet potato
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 good-sized bunch collard greens or kale
2 links Tofurkey or Field Roast vegan sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1/4 cup dry white wine or water
Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, or 1 to 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, to taste
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook, bake, or microwave the potatoes and sweet potatoes until they can be pierced with a fork but still firm. When cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch-thick half circles.
- Cut away the thick midribs from the greens and cut the leaves in half lengthwise. Rinse well, then, stacking several leaves at a time, cut them into strips.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden.
- Add the potatoes, collards, sausage, and wine. Turn the heat up to medium high and cook, stirring frequently, until the collards are bright green and tender-crisp and the potatoes and sausage are touched with golden spots here and there.
- Sprinkle in the rosemary, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook for two to three minutes longer, stirring frequently. Season with salt and ground black pepper and serve.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Nava Atlas; www.vegkitchen.com.