Smoked Gouda Quesadillas with Apple Walnut Salsa
Make a meal, snack or appetizer out of these delicious smoked Gouda quesadillas served with a fresh apple-walnut salsa.
1/2 cup walnuts
1 Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup (4 ounces) grated smoked Wisconsin Gouda
1 scallion (green onion), thinly sliced
- For the Apple-Walnut Salsa: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a baking pan toast the walnuts in the middle of oven until golden, about 7 minutes. Cool and finely chop the walnuts.
- In a bowl, combine the apple, celery, green onion, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- For Quesadillas: Preheat the broiler.
- Brush one side of each tortilla with olive oil. Arrange 2 tortillas, oil-side down, on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the tortillas with the Smoked Gouda and scallion and top with the remaining tortillas, oil-side up.
- Broil the quesadillas until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully flip the quesadillas and broil the second side until golden, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Cut each quesadilla into quarters.
- Serve quesadilla wedges with the Apple-Walnut Salsa.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.