Smoky Fiesta Rice
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2/3 cup yellow onions, 1/2-inchdice
3/4 cup long grained white rice
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 1/3 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle peppers in adobo, puréed
3/4 cup red bell peppers, 1/2-inch dice
3/4 cup yellow squash, 1/2-inch dice
3/4 cup green peas, frozen
2/3 cup California Ripe Olives, sliced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
- Stir in rice and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes until just golden. Add garlic, cook for 1 minutes, then pour in water and chipotle purée. Bring to boil, then turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- In a separate sauté pan, heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add peppers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in squash and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn heat down to low, stir in peas and olives and cook until heated through. Season with salt.
- Toss sautéed vegetables with cooked rice. Garnish with green onions and cotija cheese just before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 263; Calories From Fat: 30; Total Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 9mg; Total Carbs: 39g; Protein: 7g; Sodium: 799mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.