Spicy Vegetable Ragout
This colorful meatless vegetable and bean stew is chock-full of flavor and nutrition.
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
3 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups onion, chopped
1 tablespoon thyme
2 1/4 cups zucchini, diced
1 2/3 cups red bell pepper, diced
2 jalapeño peppers seeded and minced
1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
5 large fresh plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Hot cooked linguine for accompaniment
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Combine eggplant 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, onion, and thyme in a bowl; toss gently. Place mixture into a 9x13x2 inch baking dish. Cover and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes. Uncover and stir well. Bake, uncovered, another 15 to 20 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven. Add zucchini, red pepper, and jalapeño peppers. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add all tomatoes, wine, oregano, fennel and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in eggplant mixture, beans, and lemon juice. Simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro.
- Serve stew over linguine garnished with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Recipe provided courtesy Michigan Bean Commission.