You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these wholesome and flavorful veggie burgers.
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 small zucchini, shredded
1 small summer squash, shredded
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1/4 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 large egg, slightly beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, squash, and zucchini to the skillet. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add oats, wheat germ, cheese, egg, salt and pepper. Stir in soy sauce and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Put a little flour on a large plate. Make 3-inch round diameter patties with cooled veggie mixture. Dip both sides of patties in the flour. Refrigerate patties for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place patties on an greased broiling pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve on a toasted hamburger bun with all the fixings, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.