Chef Andrew Lyman, culinary director of The Art Institute in Austin, Texas shares this recipe saying, “We make a mean veggie burger here at the student-run restaurant - one that would make any meat lover a veggie burger convert."
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons Thai golden mountain sauce (available at Asian markets, optional)
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained and roughly chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, smoked then minced
4 cloves garlic, smoked then minced
1/2 cup grated cooked beets (use a box grater to grate one roasted beet)
1/4 cup oat bran plus more as needed
1 tablespoon puréed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
6 prunes, minced
1 teaspoon salt (preferably kosher)
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
1 teaspoon ground toasted cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For Umami Glaze: In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, Thai golden mountain sauce if using, the hoisin sauce, molasses and honey.
- For Patties: Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the minced onion. Cook, stirring constantly, until it starts to caramelize and brown. Add garlic and continue cooking until the onions are golden brown.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked rice and roughly chopped beans.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Umami Glaze and the remaining ingredients including the sautéed onion and garlic.
- Mix well to combine.
- Evaluate how well the mixture holds into patties. If too dry, add some of the Umami Glaze. If too wet, add a little more oat bran.
- Shape the veggie mixture into four to six patties, depending on size. Place the patties on a parchment lined baking sheet, cover, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- To cook, brush the patties with a little vegetable oil and cook on a flat top griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat about five minutes per side to set the burger up.
Makes 4 to 6 burgers.
Recipe provided by Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.